Monday, October 12, 2009

South Dakota Here We Come!

Thursday, September 3, 2009
After a two year streak of perfect attendance, we washed it away on the second week of 2nd Grade. It was a good cause though, we were driving to South Dakota to see Justin! I had mentally prepared myself for the trip, made goodie bags, bought presents, food and drinks, but nothing would compare to Nanny's Big Blue bags on the eighteen hour quest! Cutter tried to dig into his while we were still in the drive way packing the car. We told him that he couldn't get anything out until we got on the highway. So, as soon as we pulled onto the Winters Freeway, things started flying, packages were being ripped open, and candy was being devoured!

You don't believe me...take a look for yourself!

Our first of MANY stops was at a road side park on the Abilene side of Childress. All the candy and drinks made Cutter had to go potty, so he and PaPa ventured off, over the fence, to the unknown!

Gran made some yummy Chicken Salad for sandwiches.

Here are the kids and I after three hours in the car. Just think, only sixteen to go!

Not long after our first stop, I gave the kids one of two goodie bags (keep in mind I had ten for each kid, but Nanny's were better). Rylee got a DS last year for Straight A's all year long. Her present was a Little Pet Shop game. It served it's purpose, and kept her busy for part of the ride.

Cutter's 3rd birthday was on Sunday (our drive started on Thursday), so I let him open two of his presents early.

Yeah, a DS, just like Roo's. I know he's a little young for one, and doesn't really understand how to play an actual game on one. However, this kept both kids busy with their own DS, and not fighting over Rylees. He was so excited!

Hahaha...this picture was at 4:43 am in Holyoke, Colorado! Cutter was wide awake, and had been since 2:30. We had originally stopped for gas, but as most stops, we ventured inside, used the bathroom, and bought a few things. Cutter picked up a bad of Funyuns and shared my coke! After we got back on the road, he happily ate his bag of chips, and then crashed until our Monday breakfast stop!
This journey was so much fun. I thought I'd have been bald by the time we made it, but it wasn't so bad. I'm so thankful for Terri and Andy, I couldn't have done it by myself. It is truly something that I'll never forget, and I hope the kids don't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment