Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oma, Our Special Angel!

The kids and I go visit my mom quite frequently. I know to some people cemeteries are a scary place, but I don't want my kids to be afraid of them. In fact, my kids love going to see Oma.
Can you believe I've been taking Rylee there for six and a half years? Rylee has asked enough questions, and pieced together enough information to know that it's not really my 'mom.' Cutter, on the other hand, has no idea. All he knows is that he gets to sit on Oma's lap.
That's something Rylee started when she was little. She would sit on the headstone and tell me she was sitting on Oma's lap. It's so bittersweet to watch, but I love every minute of it, and I know my mom does too! They sing to her, pick her flowers, collect rocks to give to her, play ring-around-the-rosies, and just act silly sometimes. I'm sure some people that drive through while we are there wonder what in the world we are doing. In my opinion, my mom has my kids undivided attention, and loves to watch and listen to them! I know my mom is watching over us all the time, but it's these special moments that we talk about my mom that keep her alive within us.






I'm not a reader, but I love the Mitch Albom books. I've read all four more than once. One of mom's doctor's at UT Southwest recommended the family read Tuesday's With Morrie when she was first diagnosed with ALS. It is such a true recollection that I cry every time I read it. It is so real, and brings back so many memories. Albom's newest book, Have A Little Faith, reminds us that the way a person lives on, generation to generation, is by the memories we share. I'm going to make sure my kids know who their Oma is so that she WILL live on long after I'm gone!

I miss you Mom, and still love you all the way around the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment