Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mom's Bathroom!

So...for those of you that have been to dad's know that mom's bathroom is still a hole in the ground! When mom first got diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease we knew that her disabilities would soon progress. As showers became more and more difficult, dad decided to gut the hall bathroom, and make it handicapped accessible. I say dad gutted, but I remember tearing it apart, and so does Ryan, so I think it was a joint effort! It was a great idea in theory, but we never had time to finish it.

I told dad that it would be my summer project, something special for mom! Especially since it's been at least six years. I don't know for sure, but I think this is also becoming a healing project. Dad, I know this house holds so many memories for you, as it does Ryan and I. Ryan, I want to thank you for all the help so far. Dad, I want to thank you for guiding us through this, and I know that we will only grow closer through this.

Ryan made the comment last Saturday that he felt as if we were in middle school again...hahaha! I laughed, and for those of you that knew us way back when, can you remember where you would find us on the weekends? You guessed it, we were working on the house. In the attic, under the house, on top of the roof...you take your pick. We did it all, but looking back, I wouldn't trade it for anything!

I'm going to cement board and sheet rock tomorrow, and I'm bringing my real camera. Sorry for the blurriness.


Dad and Ryan doing what they do best, contemplating!


See what I mean?

Cutter's helping out...

...while they are still contemplating!

Holy Cow...he's working! Just kidding Ryan, I love you!


Whoops...I spoke to soon! Here they are testing Ryan's ruler circumference trick so the toilet plumbing will fit just right. However, still contemplating on whether or not to cut it with those measurements. For the record, it did work!

This is Cutter's forklift he built. He had a blast stacking and restacking those boards. I bet he moved them 20 times, no lie!

This is the hideous wallpaper I found behind the paint. Dad hadn't even seen it before, so it goes to show how old it is.

Ryan was nice enough to meet us at Home Depot so we could pick up the sheet rock and cement board. I can get a whole sheet of plywood in my car, but didn't want to chance breaking the sheet rock. That would be a disaster. Notice the kids riding on the cart? Ryan and I used to do that at Payless Lumber Yard!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! You better be careful showing off all your remodeling skills, your favorite sister in law will put you to work! :) It's looking awesome!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product. Let me know if I can help, or at least watch the kiddos while you work, or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...All you have to do is ask! I'll just be glad when this is finished. It has literally been at least 6 years without a floor. You could reach down and pick up dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel -- Well, you know who's going to enjoy this refurbished room the most! I get excited when I happen to end up in a motel with a tub. Now I'll be able to take a bath right at home. Wow!
    Thanks so much for all you do! It's looking great. But I'm wondering how this is going to look on your resume. Hanaba

    ReplyDelete